Do you think free promotion can be as good as paid?

I am debating myself if I should buy some ads, some web 2.0, and other SEO/Advertising packages for my blogs. Considering that I don't have any ads on my blogs I think that might not be productive money wise. I am out of the game for too long, so I don't know anymore if free promotions can be as good as paid. I remember back in the days you could get away with free marketing and make a living, but now it seems like you need to invest more and more.

I think so. I find any promotion can be good promotion. :) Any way you can get the name of your product out there via FB, twitter, what have you, is just as good and sometimes even more effective than Paid promotion. :)

I think so. I find any promotion can be good promotion. :) Any way you can get the name of your product out there via FB, twitter, what have you, is just as good and sometimes even more effective than Paid promotion. :)

You know it Smokey, well sometimes I am thinking like do I do enough, should I pay for a lil bit to help me out, but on the other hand I want to learn to do it free so I can easily help others or another website of mine.

• Like 1

Moving to paid promotion before you even started a free promotion is a very bad approach.

I did all the promotion for my website by myself, and now I get a lot of traffic from SE without the need to pay anything.

Remember also that when you stop paying for promotions, you won't have any traffic for your website, which is terrible.

• Like 1

Moving to paid promotion before you even started a free promotion is a very bad approach.

I did all the promotion for my website by myself, and now I get a lot of traffic from SE without the need to pay anything.

Remember also that when you stop paying for promotions, you won't have any traffic for your website, which is terrible.

Yeah I haven't considered that much, I forgot about stopping to pay and ending up...well broke if it doesn't work out.

I generally will try to spend most of my initial time trying out good approaches with free advertising, before I switch over to paid. As of recently, my recent attempt at free advertising, lead me to actually get 20 members in a month in a half, even if not all of them are actively posting. Granted, it isn't 100 members, and 30 of them posting on any given day, but it is better than 1-2 members in a month, and possibly not having any of them not post at all after registration.

• Administrators

I generally will try to spend most of my initial time trying out good approaches with free advertising, before I switch over to paid. As of recently, my recent attempt at free advertising, lead me to actually get 20 members in a month in a half, even if not all of them are actively posting. Granted, it isn't 100 members, and 30 of them posting on any given day, but it is better than 1-2 members in a month, and possibly not having any of them not post at all after registration.

This ^

I usually start out with the free approach and move my way into paid upgrades, advertisements on sites, etc. once I establish some content and a member base after a while.

Yeah I haven't considered that much, I forgot about stopping to pay and ending up...well broke if it doesn't work out.

I would not say that you'd be broke just for doing paid ads - you just have to keep at it constantly and not give up. In the beginning, you have to think to yourself (before you pay for advertisements) and ask yourself if you believe in your project. If you do, then do not give up on your project, create a budget for the site and your advertising. You don't have to sped $100 for advertising to work - but if you do not make a budget, you won't see how much money you can spend without "going broke".

• 1 month later...

I don't think there is "free advertising"

I value my time, and "free advertising" usually comes at the cost of time. :P

So far my very limited "free advertising" has yielded me, 30+ members, just over 1.5 weeks. Yes, no doubt it works.

As with any advertising its finding the right people, the right delivery vehicle and the right ad.

I won't be purchasing any advertising for my community until I have hit all my milestones and have all my monetization services/products in place.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Community Engagement

I'm intrigued by what you would all classify as "free" promotion, as @marketstreetforum has eluded to above, I value my time - as such I wouldn't classify it as "free" per se.

However intrigued by what you guys do that you classify as "free promotion"

I also set up a couple of Landing Pages that I post free classified ads to collect emails/notification subscribers that I can reach out to.

Email advertising isn't that bad of an idea just as I read this, I sort of realized that might not be too much of a bad idea. You would need a giant email list and then send out the ad for your site to get people to sign up. As for free advertising, there really isn't much of that out there unless your affiliating with someone and sharing ads in exchange. Most web venues charge at least a little for advertising. However while there might not be that many free ways, there are plenty more cheap ways to do it.

I haven't really advertised for my site at all and don't intend to very much except through word of mouth. Except on forum promotion where I have, which in that case that would be considered a good way to advertise for free. There are plenty advertisers out there that exist and let you post your link, even this site has a place to post your sites link but whether it will get you a lot of people most depends on how easy the link is to locate on the site. For high value areas you mostly have to pay a bit of money. I was considering trying to advertising out maybe in the future but haven't decided on going that route quite yet.

What is that saying, any publicity is good publicity?

I tend to agree, though nowadays (or maybe it's always been like this) you have to know what to do with that publicity - and I say this with the mob effect of social media in mind.

• 3 weeks later...

Both "free" and "paid" advertising have there perks and downsides. I wouldn't classify advertising as "free" because it can be extremely time consuming even though your directly "spending" money. If you have the right skillset, free marketing can just be as good as paid, if not better. Marketing your product through the likes of Facebook, Twitter or anything to get your brand name out there is beneficial.

On another note, any publicity is great, whether it's positive or negative.

• 1 month later...

I think it is beneficial to use both a mix of free promotion and paid promotion. The latter can help your content reach places and people that free promotion simply cannot. Never underestimate the value of free promotion though, specifically through the use of social media. Not only does advertising through the likes of twitter help you reach a range of people, but you can also target like-minded people such as your friends on Facebook. I find this most helpful to me as they have similar interests and will find my blog interesting.

I struggle with marketing in general, whether free or paid.

I guess it's because I hate social media and that seems to make up at least 51% of how to market things nowadays.

Its completely depend on condition. For example if you are on social media and you have good networks then free advertisement will work more better than paid ..... But if you new and want to promote your brand or product or services then you should choose paid advertisement because to make good circle you need some time.