What do you feel is the best? What is the best value? Myself, I haven't used non-XenForo software - minus a small time with IPB. Well, in other words, I don't have the vast experience to comment. Anyway, I tend to stick with XenForo - cause I like these two mobile friendly themes. Also, XF is simply something I'm used to.

Some Thoughts

Wolt Lab's Burning Board seems like a better value - but from what I heard the mods and support cost an extra fee. Nonetheless, extra support isn't needed for experienced webmasters and not all mods are needed. Anyway, maybe the cost of the extras on Wolt Lab aren't much! Well, the cost of XenForo licences and upgrades - which include everything basically - are simply sky-high!

Other Questions

What kind of paid stuff have you used? How would you compare it to free software? How would you compare your paid solution to other ones?

• 1 month later...
  • Community Engagement

None of them.

Honestly, this. If I had to pick, i'd probably pick IPBoards (sorry @s3_gunzel ...!)

• Haha 2

I have recently converted my IP.Board to XenForo and will never look back. I think IPS has built an incredible platform, but I am only looking for a forum and want to stick to the company who's full attention is on creating the best software for forums.

• Administrators

I have recently converted my IP.Board to XenForo and will never look back. I think IPS has built an incredible platform, but I am only looking for a forum and want to stick to the company who's full attention is on creating the best software for forums.

I cannot wait until IPB 4.5 is released - that might just lead me off Xenforo! :P

I cannot wait until IPB 4.5 is released - that might just lead me off Xenforo! :p

4.5 looks awesome and I'm still excited for the release - what have you seen that excites you so much to make a statement like that?!

I've never been fond of IPB due to the amount of server resources it took up when I ran 4.4 - it was also not the fastest when I used their cloud service, felt like it was bogged down by resource-hogging code.

I've never been fond of IPB due to the amount of server resources it took up when I ran 4.4 - it was also not the fastest when I used their cloud service, felt like it was bogged down by resource-hogging code.

I have noticed my XF forums runs far smoother and without the random database connection errors my IPB forum consistently threw - and I don't even have a large forum. Overall my biggest downer about IPB was how sterile the design looks, and even 4.5 while much improved still gives me that same feeling.

I have noticed my XF forums runs far smoother and without the random database connection errors my IPB forum consistently threw - and I don't even have a large forum. Overall my biggest downer about IPB was how sterile the design looks, and even 4.5 while much improved still gives me that same feeling.

The biggest thing that seems to be a game changer is the iOS/Android app that they plan on white labeling. That is going to give forums a fighting chance against social media outlets and the ever evolving member base forums are facing - but still, Xenforo seems (and feels) more community and home like. IPB is just a corporate software, personally. #XenforoFTW

• Administrators

what have you seen that excites you so much to make a statement like that?!

Mainly the iOS/Andriod apps that I believe will help them gear into the competitions niche. I'm also excited because they mentioned speed and stability, two things @PoliceChief and you mentioned as the downsides of IPB - my hope is they finally realized how slow their software is.

For me I would have to give XenForo my vote, it's the one I've spent the most time with and the one I'm most familiar with. It is feature rich, highly customisable and as an administrator can save you a lot of time. I tried with vBulletin back in the day but just found that to be a mess.

This has always been a bone of contention among webmasters - What forum software to use.

After years of using a lot of forum softwares, ranging from PunBB to XenForo, i would go for phpBB for free and XenForo for paid softwares.

The problem with all these softwares are that they donot have a one fits for all solution. Look at Vault718.com - they are running on phpBB for all the years I have been with them and they have done fantastically. For XenForo, go ahead and look at Forumer.io - cant find a better example.

IPB and vBulletin is getting really bulky and lacks customization. Hopefully, things will get a change as the latest IPB comes out. As for vB, god bless them.

For free softwares, there are plenty of things you could do. Its really about customization.

My choice is phpBB. My opinion is when you start out as a small community, you should be looking at free forum softwares. You can still choose to customize the free versions in the ACP (Administration Control Panel) with CSS styling and open source modifications. When your forum starts to grow and you earn revenue from advertising and donations, you should think about investing in a paid forum software. Consider the potential benefits of upgrading!

• 2 months later...

I don't know what the best paid software is as I haven't used any of them before, but I know that XenForo is currently rh industry standard for forum software which seems to just have appeared one day out of nowhere.

My favourite software for forums is phpBB albeit free.

• Like 1

I don't know what the best paid software is as I haven't used any of them before, but I know that XenForo is currently rh industry standard for forum software which seems to just have appeared one day out of nowhere.

XenForo is developed by the former lead developer of vB3 and a few friends.

• Like 1

You should try phpBB or MyBB (as they're free) and see what they are like.

I'm very bias towards phpBB as I've used it lots but it's very good for free forum software.

The only paid forum software I've used is XenForo. You get what you pay for with XF, and once you go back to using free forum software after using XF, it's a big fall. I'm contemplating about whether I should invest in a XF license for a future project or stick with MyBB. If only money wasn't a problem.

You should try phpBB or MyBB (as they're free) and see what they are like.

I'm very bias towards phpBB as I've used it lots but it's very good for free forum software.

I plan to try out both to compare once I have signed up to a free host. Hopefully one that has simple installation of the aforementioned forum softwares. Some instructions for installing mybb have just confused me.

I plan to try out both to compare once I have signed up to a free host. Hopefully one that has simple installation of the aforementioned forum softwares. Some instructions for installing mybb have just confused me.

Amazon used to have free VPS offerings but I don't think they do it anymore.

• Administrators

Amazon used to have free VPS offerings but I don't think they do it anymore.

They do, AWS provide 12 months of free on their t2.micro instance and a bunch of other things.

• Like 1
  • Administrators

What's VPS?

Its a Virtual Private Server - it’s basically a smaller version of a dedicated server, with the dedicated server resources but without the high price tag. On Digital Ocean, the VPS’s have shared CPU’s.

• Administrators

it’s basically a smaller version of a dedicated server, with the dedicated server resources but without the high price tag.

Nope, wrong.

Virtual Private Servers are, in some cases, just containers on a server. In other cases they're full virtual machines. They all have shared CPUs.

Virtual Dedicated is what you're thinking of. And even then, it's more marketing than anything else because you can't guarantee resources given how CPUs work

I would say for me it's a tie between XenForo and IPB. I have never owned one myself but have used both as a member. I looked at the pricing for IPB and it's definitely way more expensive then XenForo.