Community Requirements

PoliceChief

Honestly? Depends on the niche. It isn't required (but then, what is?)

I personally provide an option of both for my users.

Figured I would steal this from @Katos - as a community owner or aspiring owner, and from members of said communities, what do you believe is required in order to run a community? Certain features or even qualifications from the owner?

• Love 1

Figured I would steal this from @Katos - as a community owner or aspiring owner, and from members of said communities, what do you believe is required in order to run a community? Certain features or even qualifications from the owner?

A very interesting topic. I shall hold off on my “requirements” before I post here, and see what others think!

what do you believe is required in order to run a community?

The ability to be unique in your field. You're not creating a forum, you're creating a home. People want to spend time on your site, so you need to make it worth their while. You need to know how to maintain that home, in all its facets. It's not just upgrading XenForo and hoping for the best. You need to know how to manage the operating system (or control panel, if you're one of those), and you need to know what to do if when something goes horribly wrong.

• 9 months later...
On 5/10/2020 at 1:26 PM, Katos said:

A very interesting topic. I shall hold off on my “requirements” before I post here, and see what others think!

Curious what you think, now? 

On 5/11/2020 at 4:28 PM, s3_gunzel said:

(or control panel, if you're one of those)

Again...harsh... Do you have an issue against people who aren't developers or something?

A community owners qualifications should depend on ones motivation to run a community in the first place. If someone wants to start a forum because they are passionate about a certain topic/niche, all the power to them - let their motivation lead them to success. The rest will come eventually.

Edited by ManaRay
  • Love 1
  • Smile 1

s3_gunzel
16 hours ago, ManaRay said:

Do you have an issue against people who aren't developers or something?

I have an issue with people spending money on something they wouldn’t need if they did a small amount of research. You pay twice as much to run a VPS with a control panel that eats resources like Chrome does. Pay for a control panel, pay for a server, you spend so much more than you need to with a control panel. It’s no wonder sites disappear. 

Edit: I should clarify - this is for people with VPS/dedicated servers only; shared hosting is managed so there’s no expectation of knowing management. 

• 3 months later...

I think having dedication, whether that is time, money, patience or a good dedicated team is part of the requirement for having a strong Community. If you personally don't have time to care for your site, then you better have a good trustworthy team to do that for you. A community needs to be built up and that mostly happens slowly with a lot of effort, a good sense of when to start new conversation and a sense of when to stay out of them. I think on Christianity Haven that when I enter a conversation, because I have Admin by my name it can be a thread killer.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/22/2021 at 8:41 AM, Lammchen said:

I think on Christianity Haven that when I enter a conversation, because I have Admin by my name it can be a thread killer.

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like if staff members were not actually identified in posts. Almost feels like a science experiment.