Have you ever created a forum software?

Azareal

I have one which you can find fairly easily if you search for it (gimme feedback if you do, I know I'm being dumb about some things somewhere!), but does anyone else? Has anyone made one? It is a surprisingly common web newb project.

• Owner

@s3_gunzel would probably be your best bet if you need any help!

I've never created one and nor do I have the skillset (nor patience) to create something from scratch. ?

This! xD

Oh please. You’re involved with two of them. I’m sure if you sat down and actually nutted something out you'd get carried away.

Oh please. You’re involved with two of them. I’m sure if you sat down and actually nutted something out you'd get carried away.

Well.... can’t argue there! ?

• Administrators

I made my own forum. It's nice but building everything from scratch is pain compared to installing an extension though.

• Owner

I have one which you can find fairly easily if you search for it (gimme feedback if you do, I know I'm being dumb about some things somewhere!), but does anyone else? Has anyone made one? It is a surprisingly common web newb project.

What fun updates do you have for your forum software? I'm intrigued! :D

What fun updates do you have for your forum software? I'm intrigued! :D

https://gosora-project.com/topic/features-introduction.72

Well, that's the baseline, although it is very outdated, I should get around to revamping this site!

I'm working on a lot of things, I kind of want to jump on the E2EE bandwagon, although that seems like actual work and Web Crypto is a nasty API to work with. I'm also supposed to be working on Midnight, which is currently in the research stages, and I should finish route performance analytics too. Other than that, I need to strip the metadata from images more carefully as that poses an actual privacy risk and get round to Docker eventually.

To be completely honest, I wouldn't know where to start! I never created one, nor do I have the knowledge (or persistence) to create something like this from scratch. On a side note, how would I gain such a skillset? This kind of project would be to time consuming for me too and why would I bother creating my own when I can use open source alternatives?

On a side note, how would I gain such a skillset?

Learn to code in your favourite language. After a blog, a forum is just about the easiest web app you can build.

why would I bother creating my own when I can use open source alternatives?

In my case it was either write a bunch of plugins, effectively rewriting the software, or just write the software.

In my case it was either write a bunch of plugins, effectively rewriting the software, or just write the software.

That's actually a fair point.

Learn to code in your favourite language. After a blog, a forum is just about the easiest web app you can build.

What tutorials or online classes that are free, would you recommend to me? I'm always looking to learn a new skill but I'm asking for some learning guidance on how I can. How many languages do you need to know to code a forum? I know HTML of by heart but without a doubt, I'm going to have to understand more.

Never tried it. I think Larvael made it easy to code one in PHP. But I wish to do something with Python and maybe Golang. I don't want to take inspiration from existing one, maybe something new I can come up with. I wish to learn from others considering I want to learn that template and not repeating code approach. Never done anything big like forum that grows incrementally.

• Love 1

What tutorials or online classes that are free, would you recommend to me? I'm always looking to learn a new skill but I'm asking for some learning guidance on how I can. How many languages do you need to know to code a forum? I know HTML of by heart but without a doubt, I'm going to have to understand more.

A website comes in two parts. What runs on the server and what runs on the client (in theory, you could do a P2P site but that is far more intricate :p).

On the server, you might run Node (server side JavaScript), Go, Python, and more traditionally, PHP.

On the client, you would have HTML, CSS (and JavaScript to make it more usable). You may even use a JS Framework for a more streamlined experience. It is possible to use languages other than JavaScript too like Rust, Go, a dialect of Python, and so on, and you can transpile that to JavaScript. The technology for this is in it's infancy.

• 4 weeks later...

Great advice thank you.

--

This! xD

So I legit thought your forum was hand-coded when I saw it.

--

I have never coded my own forum software.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Great advice thank you.

--

So I legit thought your forum was hand-coded when I saw it.

--

I have never coded my own forum software.

In many ways, forums are just redesigned blogs.

Categorises on a blog are the individual forums. The posts on a blog are the topics and the comments are the replies. When you actually create your own software you'll notice that during the way you'll feel like you're making a blog at first and then it'll turn into a forum with the design if that makes sense. My forum could easily be redesigned to be a blog.

In many ways, forums are just redesigned blogs.

Categorises on a blog are the individual forums. The posts on a blog are the topics and the comments are the replies. When you actually create your own software you'll notice that during the way you'll feel like you're making a blog at first and then it'll turn into a forum with the design if that makes sense. My forum could easily be redesigned to be a blog.

Are forums redesigned blogs or are blogs redesigned forums? :P

• Administrators

Are forums redesigned blogs or are blogs redesigned forums? :p

That's the question everyone wants answered, I for one, do not know... ?

• Love 1