One Benefit of Free Forum Software

It would be not having to pay starter, upkeep fees!  I mean, they are quite a bit.  Well, who can beat a deal where you only need a premium forum theme, a monthly hosting fee - and that's it?  Well, you can even get better than that - with a free theme - and free hosting, but that can be too much for some!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm totally down with free stuff, but after posting on and using free forums for my own site or free "hosted" forums, I find them to be quite lacking. I've used paid hosting since my first site in 1997, and for forum software, I love Xenforo. :)

The problem I find with free software is the lack of updates. Many of the more popular free forum software platforms haven't been updated in over a year. You can't tell me that forum software is that safe and secure?!

I've been a fan of XenForo since they became public. I was one of the ones than went from vBulletin to XF.

The problem I find with free software is the lack of updates. Many of the more popular free forum software platforms haven't been updated in over a year. You can't tell me that forum software is that safe and secure?!

I've been a fan of XenForo since they became public. I was one of the ones than went from vBulletin to XF.

I guess it depends on how serious you want security.   I mean, if you had some "on the edge" political site, you might want protection from hacking - that is - above normal.   Anyway, for the average website, the updates on MyBB or whatever are usually enough, but make sure also the passwords are hard to break.

Anyway, I love paid software - but it's gotten too high - and, well, that leaves a niche for business people wanting to make themes/mods for free software.

• 1 month later...

Having the option of using a free forum software, it allows these people starting up a forum to see if their project is going to take off or not before investing money in it. If the project fails, you're not out any money.

• 4 months later...

It would be not having to pay starter, upkeep fees! I mean, they are quite a bit. Well, who can beat a deal where you only need a premium forum theme, a monthly hosting fee - and that's it? Well, you can even get better than that - with a free theme - and free hosting, but that can be too much for some!

This is what I thought of too and what led me to use Mybb forum software for my first forum. All I had to pay was the hosting, domain, and then I had more money to hire a designer to make me a custom theme.

• 1 month later...

You can also think of it this way. You can learn a lot of things about HTML, CSS while editing the themes and the plugins. And you can find it as a learning curve for the code. This is the biggest benefit of the forum software. Forum software teaches you a lot about the frameworks too. 

3 hours ago, Nova said:

You can also think of it this way. You can learn a lot of things about HTML, CSS while editing the themes and the plugins. And you can find it as a learning curve for the code. This is the biggest benefit of the forum software. Forum software teaches you a lot about the frameworks too. 

This is true for both free and premium softwares, though. 

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Moo-d said:

This is true for both free and premium softwares, though. 

This was going to be my reply. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I think that with some free software, you definitely have the freedom to customise it to your choice. At least that is with my experience of using MyBB. And there are some really great free themes out there for free software too that can also be tweaked with very very basic HTML, PHP and CSS. I personally prefer free software to the paid one and will continue using MyBB as I think it fits my needs but would pay for plugins etc. for any custom or exceptional needs. 

All webmasters know that both free & paid forum software's have their perks/drawbacks.  One obvious benefit would be it's open source & free to download. There are no upgrade fees or license fees unlike XenForo for example.