How strict are you with forum members?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I try not to be too strict since it's a general discussion forum and I want the community to be a laid back place for members to visit. Someone would have to do something really bad to end up getting a warning or a permanent ban.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

For the most part, as long as the discussion is respectful, I tend to be laid back and not really be too strict. I want people to be able to speak their minds and be responsible enough to end a conversation if they no longer want to be in it, instead of flaming, etc. Freedom of speech for the most part - as long as said speech is respectful. 

On Code Forum, we have our Code of Conduct which isn’t too strict. However I believe we have the same type of rules that other communities have. The only major difference being that we are a coding community is it is required to use our Code BBCode option. It makes it easier to read and copy the code.

But when we are giving an infraction we have a table that we follow that determines what type of penalty/warning. First infraction is normally just a reminder no points are added to the account..

Edited by Malcolm
7 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

But when we are giving an infraction we have a table that we follow that determines what type of penalty/warning. First infraction is normally just a reminder no points are added to the account..

I'm curious, do you issue a lot of infractions on CF? 

I've always been weary about issuing infractions using the warning system unless we have a great need for it. I prefer to message the users and leave it at that. Our community does not have many rules to begin with. 

Just now, Cardinal said:

I'm curious, do you issue a lot of infractions on CF? 

I've always been weary about issuing infractions using the warning system unless we have a great need for it. I prefer to message the users and leave it at that. Our community does not have many rules to begin with. 

Honestly not a lot. It’s mostly when we get new coders who are just starting off. However it’s just a simple post a message then, if they continue they get the official reminder and so on.

If anyone is interested I can share the Code of conduct and moderator table.

• 2 weeks later...

It's always best to try and informally solve the problem and move on. At first instance, contacting the members and having a conversation about the matter is usually better than striking with a board warning or ban. Just remember these members provide our boards with activity.