Invite Only/Paid Registration after a period of time...

• Administrators

After a period of time that you've had your forum open, have you thought about closing registrations to an invite-only system, or using a paid registration model instead? Did you move forward with the change, and how did it work out for you? Do you believe this would be more detrimental to the community if the change happened?

A paid system is something I would never consider really because I feel that it would push away a lot of good potential members. Same with the invite-only system but I guess it could work for some communities.

Invite-only works I think if you do it right. Personally I don't think I did it properly with my own forum though.

Having a paid registration would only work I feel if there was something more than just the forum though because in today's craze over social media, people can just jump to Twitter or whatever other social network and chat freely.

A forum is more of a bonus when there's like an invite-only or paid aspect to it.

An invite-only or paid registrations will only work if you're forum is incredibly successful, or else, we are stopping potential members from signing up. Some users could be possible new regulars which may boost your board's activity. This decision shouldn't be taken lightly and needs to be reviewed in depth.