I've added a text message service to my web app and was wondering if anyone has added text messaging to their sites as well?

What do you use it for? How much does it cost you to use it? I'm curious to read other use cases.

• 2 weeks later...

If it's for just a forum then I wouldn't do that or sign up to get those alerts if I was a member at a forum. It all depends what kind of business you have that will help you decide if you really need to send text alerts or not. I'm not sure how many people would be interested giving their phone number for that kind of thing. I even get annoyed sometimes if a business sends me too many email alerts.

• Like 1

If it's for just a forum then I wouldn't do that or sign up to get those alerts if I was a member at a forum. It all depends what kind of business you have that will help you decide if you really need to send text alerts or not. I'm not sure how many people would be interested giving their phone number for that kind of thing. I even get annoyed sometimes if a business sends me too many email alerts.

That's a fair comment I think. I wouldn't want to include my phone number on all the forums I visit because there's no need.

However I think it's a good thing on a service based website for alerts where they may be important though.

That's a fair comment I think. I wouldn't want to include my phone number on all the forums I visit because there's no need.

However I think it's a good thing on a service based website for alerts where they may be important though.

Yea kind of like how our phones get alerts if there is a bad storm headed our way like my phone does. Maybe it could be something like that instead of sending a text.

• 3 months later...

No, not texts in specific, as I believe this is a huge violation of user privacy and is too personal. I do, however, use a service called Tawk and this is where our members can contact us through a live chat. If we are not online, they can submit a support ticket and we'll get back within 24 hours.

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, Alexander said:

as I believe this is a huge violation of user privacy and is too personal.

If they’ve provided you their number it’s not a violation of privacy. 

• Thanks 1
On 11/7/2020 at 12:05 AM, s3_gunzel said:

If they’ve provided you their number it’s not a violation of privacy. 

Okay, thank you for correcting me. But, lets say a webmaster wants to send a mass text message to all users, explaining a board update or a recent change. How does he or she overcome the international sending fees and undergo such a task? 

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Alexander said:

But, lets say a webmaster wants to send a mass text message to all users, explaining a board update or a recent change. How does he or she overcome the international sending fees and undergo such a task? 

You wouldn’t. That’s just an insane thing to consider when you consider costs as well. 

Edit: here’s my thinking; texts should only be used to ascertain identity. It’s not a replacement for mass mail. 

• Community Engagement

We don't send texts, nor is it something that we'd use tbh - unless we leveraged something like Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp or Signal