Capital punishment... the right thing to do?

22_22

Also known as the death penalty. This is legal in 56 countries which I think is a lot and offers a fascinating conversation of why it's so many. Some might say that those who commit significant crimes deserve it, but others may want people to live through their sentencing rather than die so that they must live through a horrific punishment.

What do you feel about all this?

Death isn't much of a punishment as once you die you feel nothing. Plus killing someone for killing others is beyond hypocritical.

Proper imprisonment (with little but your own thoughts to keep you company) is far worse than non existence.

• Administrators

I don't agree with it for many reasons which I don't want to go into fully, but generally, I don't think killing someone, especially a murder is a punishment and also the amount of times innocent people have been put to death is enough times for it to be completely immoral thing to do.

I don't think it is very moral or humane to make someone suffer for the sake of making them suffer out of a sense of vengeance. American prisons for instance has a problem with people getting stabbed and conditions in some deteriorated to the point of the Supreme Court declaring it equivalent to torture.

A very significant number of people in prison have mental disorders and prison is even used as a "defacto" mental hospital in places like America. This is something which they're uniquely unsuited to and make matters worse.

Some things like solitary confinement should be reclassified as torture and banned.

• 2 months later...

No, I don't agree with capital punishment but that's just my view. Killing someone for killing others is hypocritical.  A life sentence would work better, as once a inmate dies, they feel no pain scientifically speaking.  I'm glad England has banned this type of punishment for criminals. 

Edited by Alexander

• 8 months later...

I've never been one to believe in capital punishment. But what's happening today is that we don't have consequences that are equal to the crimes being committed and in some cities in the US, they're actually allowing prisoners to go free! Why? How is that a consequence to teach them to change their ways?