I need to move my mybb board to a new host as the free host I'm currently on forces an hour of shutdown a day. Plus their contracts are 3 years long for paid.

Any suggestions for a good host?

Requirements;

Preferably free with choice to upgrade cheaply.

Paid should be month by month contract, or at worst 6-12 months.

Cheap/affordable.

Easy to install mybb on.

• Administrators
Posted (edited)

I need to move my mybb board to a new host as the free host I'm currently on forces an hour of shutdown a day. Plus their contracts are 3 years long for paid.

Any suggestions for a good host?

Requirements;

Cheap/affordable.

Easy to install mybb on.

Hi Chel,

I might have an option for you. I’ll PM you soon! :)

Edited by Thomasss
  • Administrators

Cheap/affordable.

Easy to install mybb on.

Just so we're clear and for anyone else who may stumble upon this thread:

Hosting is generally paid monthly - some hosts have the option to pay yearly. Domains, adversely, are generally yearly (and in some cases, .au domains for example, every two years). Many reputable hosts have softaculous or a similar auto installer, which will allow you to one-click MyBB. Any host worth their salt will also allow you to install a free SSL cert from within the web hosting panel. It is strongly recommendable that you do install an SSL certificate, as this will assist your SEO.

• Administrators

They force shut down for one hour a day? That's brutal but I guess thats what happens when using free things.

It's not even brutal, it's incompetent.

A server is designed to operate 24x7 for years at a time. These people are idiots, nothing more.

• Administrators

The entire premise that people accept this because "It's a free host" perplexes me. I wouldn't accept that.

The entire premise that people accept this because "It's a free host" perplexes me. I wouldn't accept that.

No kidding. I wouldn't accept that either. Those kind of things would make me run away from those types of services. It's much better going for a paid host.

• 1 month later...
  • Community Engagement
On 8/6/2020 at 3:42 AM, s3_gunzel said:

The three year contract strikes me as highly suspect also.... That's just bizarre. 

• Administrators
On 8/5/2020 at 7:42 PM, s3_gunzel said:

I mean, you get what you pay for. Should people have to accept it? No. But the hosting industry - free hosting simply means that you're going to have crappy service. If they are a free host, I highly doubt they are managing their own servers - so they are a reseller using "super fast SSD servers" when in reality, they're probably on a free reseller to begin with. 😛

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Thomasss said:

I mean, you get what you pay for. Should people have to accept it? No. But the hosting industry - free hosting simply means that you're going to have crappy service. If they are a free host, I highly doubt they are managing their own servers - so they are a reseller using "super fast SSD servers" when in reality, they're probably on a free reseller to begin with. 😛

If you’re telling me that downtime is acceptable on a free host because “it’s free” - you are legitimately having a laugh. There are people who use free hosting for a myriad of reasons - downtime for anything other than maintenance once a month is not right and is laughable. Slowness? Yeah, I can accept that. Downtime? For an hour a day? No. Not a chance. 

8 hours ago, Katos said:

The three year contract strikes me as highly suspect also.... That's just bizarre. 

It is. That’s how they get you in. 

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, s3_gunzel said:

If you’re telling me that downtime is acceptable on a free host because “it’s free” - you are legitimately having a laugh. There are people who use free hosting for a myriad of reasons - downtime for anything other than maintenance once a month is not right and is laughable. Slowness? Yeah, I can accept that. Downtime? For an hour a day? No. Not a chance. 

You cannot expect a free host to have the same amount of uptime that a host you pay $5-$500. Would you truly trust running a website through a free host? 

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Thomasss said:

You cannot expect a free host to have the same amount of uptime that a host you pay $5-$500. Would you truly trust running a website through a free host? 

I can expect two nines tho. And that’s far less downtime than an hour a day! (I just looked, two nines - 99% - equates to 14.4 minutes a day).

I know people who have. Remember I ran a free host a while ago? Yeah. I know how they work. 

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, s3_gunzel said:

I can expect two nines tho. And that’s far less downtime than an hour a day! 

I know people who have. Remember I ran a free host a while ago? Yeah. I know how they work. 

That was also when most hosts were decent. 😛 It shouldn't happen, but it does. x10Hosting for example. 😛

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Thomasss said:

That was also when most hosts were decent.

Well, no. We were the leaders in free hosting because I didn’t compromise on quality. I mean, we had issues, but not every day!

2 minutes ago, Thomasss said:

x10Hosting

Where’s that vomit gif?

• Administrators
1 minute ago, s3_gunzel said:

Well, no. We were the leaders in free hosting because I didn’t compromise on quality. I mean, we had issues, but not every day!

4 minutes ago, Thomasss said:

Sadly most people were not like that - still aren't. Hell, I paid for hosting and was offline for 2 hours and they still managed to say it was 99% uptime. I simply don't trust free hosts, I barely trust known hosts. 😛

3 minutes ago, s3_gunzel said:

Where’s that vomit gif?

puke GIF

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, Thomasss said:

Sadly most people were not like that - still aren't. Hell, I paid for hosting and was offline for 2 hours and they still managed to say it was 99% uptime. I simply don't trust free hosts, I barely trust known hosts.

As a business person and entrepreneur, I still believe you can have a decent business without compromising on the most basic of principles - decent service.