Thoughts on an 'unmoderated' forum

What are you're thought on an unmoderated forum? By unmoderated I mean post content is only removed if its spam or a legal issue (i.e., death threats, how to create illegal devices, etc).

• Administrators

It depends on the site. I know of a board that was mostly self-moderated, in that it was primarily a group of people who largely knew each other and knew what they could and couldn't post.

It worked for them, but I imagine it wouldn't work everywhere.

Do you mean unmoderated or unmoderated?

If it's an unmoderated site and you widely advertise it as such, expect a lot of busywork to keep it in compliance. And there is a chance your host, ISP or CDN (most notably, Cloudflare) may decide to cut you off for one reason or another.

Terminating Service for 8Chan Contrary to how the media paints it, the site did have a basic level of moderation. And it steered slightly away from outright lawlessness. But it ended up drawing in a bad crowd and ultimately got shutdown. There wasn't reasonably much they could have done, much like how there wasn't much YouTube could have done about pests in the comment sections of videos but the bad press was too much for them.

If it's a casually moderated site where everyone has some reasonable grasp of what to say and what to do, that's a different story.

Edited by Azareal
  • Administrators

If it's an unmoderated site and you widely advertise it as such, expect a lot of busywork to keep it in compliance.

Yeah they don't really moderate it at all. That's my point. Self-moderation -- that is, not posting stupid things -- is all they do.

They're on Tapatalk.

Depends on the site, but if there is a site like that I would say they'd need a disclaimer stating moderation is extremely limited unless otherwise stated for the reasons mentioned above (illegal activity, death threats, etc)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Community Engagement

Depends on the site, but if there is a site like that I would say they'd need a disclaimer stating moderation is extremely limited unless otherwise stated for the reasons mentioned above (illegal activity, death threats, etc)

Agreed.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like what @s3_gunzel mentioned, unless you're in a group of people who know what and what not to post, you should always have rules and moderators ensuring compliance. Hosting agencies have their own set of rules too of what content is allowed on their servers, so by the bare minimum, you should be following their guidelines. 

• 1 month later...

A unmoderated forum is a bad idea - most people don't use common sense so that's why there is rules and staff members ensuring adherence of these terms. If users argue too much, as a webmaster, you may suffer from losing members. It's better to be safe than sorry!