What forum software do you use?

For my page, I use MyBB. It can turn into something really good through the use of a good theme and plugins and I like how it is really easy (with a bit of coding) to modify to your liking. What about you guys? I do like Xenforo too but it's too expensive for me.

My previous project was running on phpBB, which has been sold to a new owner. Recently, I purchased a business forum which uses XenForo and to say the least it has taken some time to get used to the ACP/MCP user interface. I'm happy using this software for the time being. 

My site uses XenForo! It's okay, it does what I need it to do. However very expensive for renewals and add-ons.

Edited by Malcolm
  • Community Engagement
6 hours ago, Moo-d said:

Curious on when Flarum will release out of Beta?

We’re working hard on stable. Most of the software is already stable, and it’s the extension API that needs the most work. 
We are aiming for stable release by year-end 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Simon said:

I use IPB as I think it's the most feature-packed, stable, easy-to-use, and professional forum software available today. 

What version of IPB are you running?

8 hours ago, Paanda said:

How are you enjoying the update from 4.4 to 4.5? Is it worth it?

I really do like it, especially the new ACP and marketplace integration. But besides that, it's not a hugely important update imho. So if you don't want to run the latest and greatest it's fine to wait a bit longer before upgrading.

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Simon said:

I really do like it, especially the new ACP and marketplace integration. But besides that, it's not a hugely important update imho. So if you don't want to run the latest and greatest it's fine to wait a bit longer before upgrading.

I agree with this. Personally, I would wait until 4.5 is more widely supported between developers. This change is mostly ACP and back end updates and a clean up of the default theme. 

On 9/30/2020 at 10:17 PM, s3_gunzel said:

My own custom built solution that feels like its wheels are about to fall off. 

Wow that's really impressive. How long did it take to create your own custom-built forum? How difficult was it?

Also, It's nice to see a variety of software used by sites. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Community Engagement
On 11/10/2020 at 5:33 PM, Alexander said:

I'm thinking of switching from XenForo since the add-ons are very expensive. Is migration possible with XenForo to another open source software?  What's the easiest way to undertake such a job as a webmaster? 

Yes it’s possible. You’re probably going to find it easiest to use a migration tool (most softwares provide this)