XenForo or IPB - Which one is most cost effective?

• Administrators

XenForo and IPB are both amazing in their own capacity's, but both have quite a bit of a different price range. Let's break it down. 

For basic forums, you'd end up paying: 

• XenForo: $160, $55 renewal each year. 
  • IPB: $200

Let's throw in similar themes/addons for your community, ranging anywhere from $50 to $200. In the case of Forumer.io, our launch on XenForo costed  around $450.00. A conversion to IPB, with IPB having a lot of features that were addon's on XenForo, would have cost me $335 if I had bought out the license for Forums and Pages. 

That's quite a difference. 

Now, let's check out XenForo and all the extra's, but IPB and all their extras: 

• XenForo, XenForo Resource Manager, and XenForo Media Gallery = $345. 
  • IPB, Forums, Downloads, and Gallery = $350. 

Now, take into account designs, addon's, etc that you might need. XenForo may not have certain features that IPB does, and vice versa. 

Obviously, it's going to depend on each type of community, the expectations and features needed, designs, etc. Though for the most part, each software is similar in pricing vs. what they offer. XenForo 2.2 comes with some features that were only possible via AddOns, so that might make a difference in pricing. 

In my current case, we pay $45/month for hosting and the license of IPB (all apps) - in total, if we were to pay for the whole license plus hosting, it would cost us roughly $725, including the license and dedicated cloud hosting on DigitalOcean. With the monthly hosting, it only costs us $540 for, well, all. of that.

All in all - I suppose it differs based on community and preference of softwares. What do you think? Which one is truly more cost effective?

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Thomasss said:

IPB: $200

Have they done away with the renewal charge? Good. About time.

• Administrators
Just now, s3_gunzel said:

Have they done away with the renewal charge? Good. About time.

Oops, forgot that. It'd depend but for just forums, it'd be $50 a year. Goes up from there. 😬

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Thomasss said:

It'd depend but for just forums, it'd be $50 a year.

So no advantage after buying the license for a pretty well vanilla install.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, s3_gunzel said:

So no advantage after buying the license for a pretty well vanilla install.

Ehh, if you're only using it for a forum, it's the same renewal price as XenForo. Actually, $5 less than XenForo despite IPB being more initially. Though, like I mentioned, XenForo needed a lot of addons that well skyrocketed the price for launching on XenForo. I could have launched Forumer on IPB for cheaper than what I did on XenForo.

• Administrators
Just now, Thomasss said:

Ehh, if you're only using it for a forum, it's the same renewal price as XenForo. Actually, $5 less than XenForo despite IPB being more initially.

Yeah but my point is the metric that matters is renewals every year. You can't quantify a charge with plugins, etc because every site is different - You can only really compare on what is the same: A renewal for the software maintenance.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, s3_gunzel said:

Yeah but my point is the metric that matters is renewals every year. You can't quantify a charge with plugins, etc because every site is different - You can only really compare on what is the same: A renewal for the software maintenance.

Fair enough, though, any new forum nowadays will have renewal prices for themes and addons. Most do not just keep a vanilla copy of either IPB/XenForo so while I understand where you're coming from, it might be cheaper using IPB in the long run if XenForo requires addons for features IPB already has. If that makes sense?