How many warnings are "too many"?

• Administrators

My moderation style, I would give a user a lot of warnings assuming they were small infractions. 

• Administrators

We’re pretty fluid. A post that quotes deleted text will just be hidden. A post that is trolling earns a “three strike” infraction where if you troll extensively, you’ll be banned. 

There is no number of warnings which is too many, in my view. If the user improves & learns from their mistake, there's no problem. When they start re-offending the same error, it becomes an issue and I tend to use the 3 warnings rule before a temp ban. 

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Alexander said:

There is no number of warnings which is too many, in my view.

7 hours ago, Alexander said:

I tend to use the 3 warnings rule before a temp ban. 

Well, then there ARE too many warnings.

It depends on the seriousness of the offence. I think you only get one second chance. But to be given a warning / second chance you'd have to do something moderately shitty.

On 10/8/2020 at 2:40 AM, s3_gunzel said:

Well, then there ARE too many warnings.

I understand - but let's say I warn a user for spamming the board and the user doesn't repeat this offense again. The member, innocently  breaches another forum rule like promoting /marketing outside of YouTube which isn't permitted. In conclusion, aslong as the member learns and doesn't violate the same rule again, there's no problem.

So depending on which type of rule is violated, we'd start with a reminder which is either made via thread or pm and will also be noted on profile (visible to moderators and admins). Then if it continues you will then get a Warning with no warning points but serves as more of a attempt to correct. If it continue then we will apply the first warning,  This warning will just apply a warning, nothing else. If member continues to go against the rules, another warning will be given so now the warning points are at 2. This sets the account to discourage, random disconnects etc. Now, if it continues we go up another warning point (3) and so on.

I've attached an image of our guide. Which is a lot easier to understand than me rambling  on.

image.png