Moderators Moderating their own content

Do you allow your moderators to moderate their own posts & topics? Or, is this strictly prohibited due to the risk of permission abuse or a biased opinion? I'm fine with it, but other team members have the right to supervise what's posted by their colleague. We're a team at the end of the day.  

Vote in the poll and discuss below!

Edited by Alexander
  • Administrators

Moderators have the ability to self moderate. Anyone can reverse those choices at any time. There’s no danger of anything being deleted permanently. 

• Community Engagement
12 hours ago, s3_gunzel said:

Moderators have the ability to self moderate. Anyone can reverse those choices at any time. There’s no danger of anything being deleted permanently. 

This - and at CreatorsWave we make use of audit logs to ensure that people are held accountable as they should be. 

• Like 1
  • Administrators

Moderators can self moderate - like @Katos mentioned, it's logged in the system and we can go back and ensure they're not doing anything they shouldn't be.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
2 minutes ago, Moo-d said:

Why wouldn't they? 

There could potentially be an argument made about a conflict of interest in moderating your own content.

I allow my moderators to edit their content, because they are humans as well they can make mistakes and may want to fix it. Even if they try to hide inappropriate content I am able to see the history of the thread. However, moderators cannot hard-delete content.

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I allow my moderators to edit their content,

Editing ones own posts is a right that should be permitted by any member, for a period of time after the post. Ostensibly not moderation -- I'd be more worried about thread vandalism.

Just now, s3_gunzel said:

Editing ones own posts is a right that should be permitted by any member, for a period of time after the post. Ostensibly not moderation -- I'd be more worried about thread vandalism.

Yes, that's why it's allowed. I don't believe I need to muzzle moderators. Never had to deal with thread vandalism, happen often?

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Malcolm said:

Never had to deal with thread vandalism, happen often?

Depends on the staff. I tend to find it's more likely to happen if you rid them and don't get in fast enough with the revoking of permissions.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, s3_gunzel said:

Depends on the staff. I tend to find it's more likely to happen if you rid them and don't get in fast enough with the revoking of permissions.

Oh, wow! Never experienced that before. So I never thought of it like that, I appreciate you sharing that.

• Administrators
42 minutes ago, s3_gunzel said:

This. 

I remember one time I let one go after basically banning three people for no reason, and I forgot XenForo was stupid and you had to remove them from the group and the moderators section and didn't, they ended up deleted all of the threads. Luckily I didn't allow deletion, only soft deletion, but it was a pain reversing it all.