I recently renewed my XenForo 1 Year License Extension for $85.00. Was it worth doing? There are two advantages. One of which is the ability to keep XenForo to the latest version and the other is access to instant support on the official forum. 

Edited by Alexander
  • Administrators
4 minutes ago, Alexander said:

Was it worth doing?

Was it worth having a site that has the same basic look as all the other XenForo sites? No. I wouldn’t have thought it was. It irks me that everyone’s like “oh be unique” but they run the same software as everyone else. 

• Like 1
  • Administrators
2 hours ago, Alexander said:

I recently renewed my XenForo 1 Year License Extension for $85.00. Was it worth doing? There are two advantages. One of which is the ability to keep XenForo to the latest version and the other is access to instant support on the official forum. 

I moved this to the correct forum. 

I usually wouldn't renew until I was ready to upgrade or needed support. Waste to $85 to me - then again, so is XenForo. 

• Haha 1
  • Community Engagement
11 hours ago, Thomasss said:

Waste to $85 to me - then again, so is XenForo. 

What this guy said.

Curious to whether you're renewing IPB though @Thomasss

• Administrators
9 hours ago, Katos said:

What this guy said.

I do believe we’re on an IPB Hosted solution, so that would be a yes. Included in the hosted solution!

• Administrators
13 hours ago, Katos said:

What this guy said.

4 hours ago, s3_gunzel said:

I do believe we’re on an IPB Hosted solution, so that would be a yes. Included in the hosted solution!

This ^ 

It's cheaper on a year end basis since we get all of the apps and hosting - which, might I add, is quite good so far. ❤️ 

• Like 1
On 10/3/2020 at 4:27 PM, Alexander said:

Do not renew until you need too. Waste of money to me if you're renewing for a whole year and only get a small number of updates, if any. 

• Administrators

I feel like -- on another note -- that commercial softwares should permit security updates to be downloaded if you've got a license, even if you don't get updates.

Not feature updates tho. You should have to pay for those.

Just now, s3_gunzel said:

I feel like -- on another note -- that commercial softwares should permit security updates to be downloaded if you've got a license, even if you don't get updates.

Then they'd lose half their money from renewals. 😛

• Administrators
Just now, Moo-d said:

Then they'd lose half their money from renewals. 😛

Perhaps - but fixing a security bug and then holding it to ransom is a little unethical.

I wouldn't purchase a renewal until I need to. Let if there was an update etc. Sometimes you don't get any updates for months and you wonder to yourself if it was worth it. Then on top of that you are spending hundreds of dollars on add-on renewals. I want to find a better solution and perhaps move onto another forum software.