Without a doubt, staff members are still subject to forum rules just like normal rules. If anything, they should be setting a excellent example for our members.  No webmaster wants to punish a team member for violation of guidelines. 

Whether they get a warning, or demoted, how do you deal with an "Appeal" for the decision made? Do you have a procedure in place? Perhaps you ask one of the other Admins to look at it for a unbiased view? 

• Administrators
34 minutes ago, Alexander said:

No webmaster wants to punish a team member for violation of guidelines. 

Webmasters should hire those who follow the rules - if they can't, they should not be part of the forum's staff. 

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, Thomasss said:

Webmasters should hire those who follow the rules - if they can't, they should not be part of the forum's staff. 

No danger of that here. I wrote the rules! 🤣

This raises an interesting point. What do you do if your staff are complained about in the course of their duties? People are going to be unhappy with moderation action taken against them, how do you deal with complaints against your staff? 

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, s3_gunzel said:

This raises an interesting point. What do you do if your staff are complained about in the course of their duties? People are going to be unhappy with moderation action taken against them, how do you deal with complaints against your staff? 

Similar to the way I would in a normal investigation at work. Was a policy violated? If so, was the moderators actions too rash or was it warranted? If a policy was broken, and the team member acted in good faith in completing a moderation duty, then the member is simply out of luck. Most forums would have a moderation policy - again, written rules to follow when community members break the rules. If staff cannot follow rules, both written forum rules and moderation rules, then they shouldn't be staff. 

1 hour ago, Thomasss said:

Similar to the way I would in a normal investigation at work. Was a policy violated? If so, was the moderators actions too rash or was it warranted? If a policy was broken, and the team member acted in good faith in completing a moderation duty, then the member is simply out of luck. Most forums would have a moderation policy - again, written rules to follow when community members break the rules. If staff cannot follow rules, both written forum rules and moderation rules, then they shouldn't be staff. 

That is a tad harsh. If members can receive warnings, why is it not the same standard with your staff?

• Administrators
22 minutes ago, Cardinal said:

That is a tad harsh. If members can receive warnings, why is it not the same standard with your staff?

Staff should be held at a higher standard than community members. I need to be able to trust my staff that they can make the right decision, and if they are unable to adhere the rules they moderate, then I cannot trust them. Simple as that. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2020 at 7:20 PM, Cardinal said:

You need to be more harsh on your rules then. 

I agree with @Thomasss, staff are at a higher standard than the others. Staff should not have warnings.