I've been looking for a forum software for a while and just came across WotLab. Ideally, I'd use XenForo, but buying a brand new XenForo license is very expensive, especially with 20% VAT included; it just does not seem worth it to me and I can't get my hands on an used license. IPB is also expensive long term. MyBB and phpBB are just not good enough, understandably so, since they're free. That brings me to WotLab. It looks really good, but I don't know much about it. Has anyone here used WotLab? If so, how was your experience?

• s3_gunzel changed the title to WoltLab
  • Administrators

The name of the software is actually Woltlab - I’ve edited the title, adding the L, for clarity reasons. 

• Administrators
9 hours ago, ARx182 said:

I've been looking for a forum software for a while and just came across WotLab. Ideally, I'd use XenForo, but buying a brand new XenForo license is very expensive, especially with 20% VAT included; it just does not seem worth it to me and I can't get my hands on an used license. IPB is also expensive long term. MyBB and phpBB are just not good enough, understandably so, since they're free. That brings me to WotLab. It looks really good, but I don't know much about it. Has anyone here used WotLab? If so, how was your experience?

I've used it once before on a non published project of mine. It's not half bad - it's similar to XenForo and Wordpress. It's not as extensively modded so addons and things are hard to come by, especially themes. Overall, though, it's not half bad. 

2 minutes ago, Puppuccino said:

I've never heard of it before. What's it's selling points over something like IPB or phpBB?

Woltlab is the red headed stepchild to IPB - it has more of a flat design to everything but still offers a lot that IPB offers, such as a gallery, downloads, calendar, etc. It's also Half the price - but IPB is developed more professionally than Woltlab.

I don't think it compares to phpBB....