Jump to content

Rant About Ads


Recommended Posts

Can I just rant for a moment?

 

I went on a forum just a few moments ago and all I saw where ads.....ad in the header, leaderboard ad, ad on the sidebar....even an ad in the first post of each thread - like, seriously? Talk about a deterrent to not join a forum. How about everyone else? Do you like to see ads when joining forums?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2020 at 1:55 AM, Pipsi said:

Can I just rant for a moment?

 

I went on a forum just a few moments ago and all I saw where ads.....ad in the header, leaderboard ad, ad on the sidebar....even an ad in the first post of each thread - like, seriously? Talk about a deterrent to not join a forum. How about everyone else? Do you like to see ads when joining forums?

I don't mind advertising being displayed on a website as I understand website owners want to recoup some of these costs through revenue. From a perspective of a member, if a website has excessive ads, enabling a adblocker would the best option.  The worst kind are the pop ups. Some can even infect your PC with malware and adware. 

But, you are right. It does deter members away. It's finding the right balance. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a similar mindset to Mark Zuckerberg (or as he's portrayed in The Social Network, anyway), in that ads are "uncool".

I didn't get into being a webmaster to make money, I did it because I enjoy it.. Although I can see why people would try and make money from their website, particularly if it's already quite successful and requires substantial investment to keep it physically up and running.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Simon said:

I usually only display ads for guests and let my signed in users get an ad-free experience. 

That's a good balance. It's also a brilliant incentive for guests to register on your forum. Just out of curiosity, how many Ads do you display and what would you consider to be excessive advertisement placements? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Alexander said:

how many Ads do you display and what would you consider to be excessive advertisement placements?

I would never have more than three different ads on a single page. It's better to just have a few - but good - ad placements than too much noise imho.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2020 at 10:19 PM, Simon said:

I would never have more than three different ads on a single page. It's better to just have a few - but good - ad placements than too much noise imho.

Well, I have Google Ads enabled on my website and the placements are automatically assigned by Google. The adverts seem a little on the excessive side to be honest, so I'm considering to switch to manual. Too many can deter members away unfortunately! It's important webmasters look after their members. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/18/2020 at 5:55 PM, Pipsi said:

Can I just rant for a moment?

 

I went on a forum just a few moments ago and all I saw where ads.....ad in the header, leaderboard ad, ad on the sidebar....even an ad in the first post of each thread - like, seriously? Talk about a deterrent to not join a forum. How about everyone else? Do you like to see ads when joining forums?

This is why AdBlock comes in handy. I usually only enable it for sites that do not abuse ads. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Claraviolet

Ads are not good when you use them that way.

A header ad and a footer ad can be good enough. Unfortunately, they don't get much income to the website owner. So, they had to place too many ads to get something from the Adsense, once in a while.

I do understand them but  that doesn't mean I like them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators
s3_gunzel
1 hour ago, Claraviolet said:

So, they had to place too many ads to get something from the Adsense, once in a while.

This is the only justification - even if it’s a terrible justification. 

Not aimed at you, @Claraviolet - but for finances to take over the websites user experience, something’s gone wrong. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Claraviolet
3 hours ago, s3_gunzel said:

This is the only justification - even if it’s a terrible justification. 

Not aimed at you, @Claraviolet - but for finances to take over the websites user experience, something’s gone wrong. 

It's fine and that came from my personal experience.

So far in all these 8 years, I have spent close to 2188 USD and with Google Adsense I made like 88 USD. My family doesn't want me to waste more money on the website but I just can't help it.

I am sure there are others just like me.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators
s3_gunzel
10 hours ago, Claraviolet said:

My family doesn't want me to waste more money on the website but I just can't help it.

I don't blame them. That's a lot of outlay for very little return. Business ads work because the businesses recoup the money in referrals and closed business. Not from Adsense ads running on their website.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't care how many ads you run on a single page, but the more ads the less likely I am to come back to the website. I do run AdBlock but I will also pay to remove ads if there is an option and I appreciate the website and I feel I get value from it.

Personally ads on YouTube are awful, but I use it enough that paying for premium is well worth it for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information