Do you punish members for behaviour outside of your forum?

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't punish users for things on other forums unless they were staff or brought my own forum into disrepute.

It is helpful to remain vigilant of their behaviour on other forums though, and perhaps note in a 'User Notes' space 

I wouldn't do that even if they are staff members. I am sure it is not an ideal solution but unless someone broke the rules within the website, I wouldn't take any action.

Other websites and social media doesn't count and their behavior in those websites is not relevant to my website. This is just my opinion. If someone opposes, then we usually we make a poll about what action should be taken and based on the votes, we will implement that action.

17 hours ago, s3_gunzel said:

As I’ve posted - if they’re badmouthing or bringing your website into disrepute, it is directly relevant to your website. 

Well, let me explain myself a little bit more then.

If others believe him/her just like that, without even checking the facts, would you want such people around? I really don't want to have such members and I am sure it's a little different from what others said before. That's just me being me. However, if others would want the guy to be held accountable, then based on the voting, we will take an action accordingly. 

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Claraviolet said:

If others believe him/her just like that, without even checking the facts, would you want such people around?

If I was going to have that view, why would I want anyone on a forum? Because it’s a community. Which only works when there are members. 

5 minutes ago, Claraviolet said:

However, if others would want the guy to be held accountable, then based on the voting, we will take an action accordingly. 

We don’t bother voting. There are guidelines for what you can and can’t do as staff of the board. Follow them or leave. 

23 minutes ago, s3_gunzel said:

If I was going to have that view, why would I want anyone on a forum? Because it’s a community. Which only works when there are members. 

We don’t bother voting. There are guidelines for what you can and can’t do as staff of the board. Follow them or leave. 

Well, I am sure my folks feel that I am just a naive woman but that's just how I view things.

I don't judge something based on one or two negative reviews alone.  If we try to ignore people who are bad mouthing us, they will lose interest soon enough. It's just some strategy of mine. I try not to implement my actions blindly so I go with voting. So, if something else is opted by other folks and even if I disapprove it a lot, I will still follow  it...as that's my users opinion. 

Edited by Claraviolet
  • Administrators
29 minutes ago, Claraviolet said:

So, if something else is opted by other folks and even if I disapprove it a lot, I will still follow  it...as that's my users opinion. 

I worry you’re setting a precedent there. Members shouldn’t get a say in banning. Or rules. They should just need to follow them. 

I mean, unless they’re advising on stricter rules. 

15 minutes ago, s3_gunzel said:

I worry you’re setting a precedent there. Members shouldn’t get a say in banning. Or rules. They should just need to follow them. 

I mean, unless they’re advising on stricter rules. 

Well, if they had done something within the website then staff can certainly take action accordingly. However, this is different and we don't want others to misunderstand our action here.

Well, looks like I am the only odd one out. Usually when it comes to an actual ban, I take voting among the staff members. If it's related to some negative article and that needs to be addressed in a newsletter, then I take voting from all the users.

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Claraviolet said:

However, this is different and we don't want others to misunderstand our action here.

If they're bringing your site into disrepute, it is incumbent upon you, as the owner, to make the decision. Just so we're clear, it isn't that I don't care what members think, but I don't think they can make an objective decision that isn't clouded by prejudice.

It is better to not have that as an influencing factor in making a decision.

5 minutes ago, s3_gunzel said:

If they're bringing your site into disrepute, it is incumbent upon you, as the owner, to make the decision. Just so we're clear, it isn't that I don't care what members think, but I don't think they can make an objective decision that isn't clouded by prejudice.

It is better to not have that as an influencing factor in making a decision.

That's true and I just don't want to be called as a 'Tyrant' later.

To be honest, I had some really bad experience similar to this scenario. It ended badly and I have learned my lesson. I don't want to take an important decision by myself. I would at least take other staff members opinions before taking an action.

Later, people would stand by you or else you will have to fight a lone battle with other users, who admire that banned user.

• Administrators
Just now, Claraviolet said:

That's true and I just don't want to be called as a 'Tyrant' later.

Generally on other boards, members don't get a say in this. So, them calling you a tyrant for doing what is standard would be immaterial.

1 minute ago, Claraviolet said:

Later, people would stand by you or else you will have to fight a lone battle with other users, who admire that banned user.

You'd have to do this anyway. Cut out the middleman and stand by your actions.

4 minutes ago, s3_gunzel said:

Generally on other boards, members don't get a say in this. So, them calling you a tyrant for doing what is standard would be immaterial.

You'd have to do this anyway. Cut out the middleman and stand by your actions.

Well, I am no good when it comes to confrontation.

You could say that I always try to leave such decisions to my other staff members in general. If some banned member approaches me, seeking entry again saying that he felt bad for what he had done, I usually give him permission to do so. Later, I had to explain all that to my other staff members. So, I try to redirect everything to other staff members these days.

Ya, besides a staff member creating problems and acting in a manner that would make others believe they are representing the website, it does not really concern me what people do in their other free time.  It would have to be a super special situation and some extreme ending that would even make me think about banning a regular member for say a Facebook post that has nothing to do with my site.