Thoughts on MyBB

A well-known forum software to most of you I assume. One which I personally love a lot because of how flexible it is to customise to your liking. Personally, I wouldn't switch to another software even if I had the funds to because I like the work I have done so far with my site on MyBB and would rather invest towards what I have done so far than a software change. 

I think for those starting off with forums and have a tight budget constraint, MyBB would be a great way to start off. It looks ugly when you install it but that's what themes were invented for and there are some really great free ones out there. You can customise the templates too to modify and style to your liking. The major factor was the fact that it's free.

I'd love to hear some of your thoughts on MyBB. 

s3_gunzel

MyBB is fantastic software let down in three main areas:

• Lack of a responsive default (or free) theme - in the 1.6 days, we achieved Mobile Compatability with a plugin which was amazing.
  • The community is inherently thick - dense - they don't listen to reason.
  • Lack of Object Oriented design; at least not in the standard context. It has Object Oriented design, but kind of... hacked together.
  • 1 month later...
On 11/26/2020 at 4:59 AM, s3_gunzel said:

MyBB is fantastic software let down in three main areas:

• Lack of a responsive default (or free) theme - in the 1.6 days, we achieved Mobile Compatability with a plugin which was amazing.
  • The community is inherently thick - dense - they don't listen to reason.
  • Lack of Object Oriented design; at least not in the standard context. It has Object Oriented design, but kind of... hacked together.

I understand your first and third points with it's negative parts. For the second one are you referring to the MyBB community forum? As in the staff or the people?

s3_gunzel
38 minutes ago, _B_ said:

For the second one are you referring to the MyBB community forum? As in the staff or the people?

The membership. I spent a great amount of time trying to explain to them that things take time. 

Claraviolet

I have been using MyBB for close to 8 years now and I love it. Still, I wouldn't mind switching to Xenforo sometime. As of now, I don't plan to do it anytime soon.

Anyway, MyBB doesn't have any push notification system for mobiles and using Tapatalk is not an ideal solution. I can't really get an app for the website and it can be very expensive. For this reason alone, I prefer Xenforo over MyBB.

Claraviolet
16 hours ago, s3_gunzel said:

MyAlerts does the job. 

That's when you actually visit a website and they are not push notifications for a browser.

I am sure many people leave a website after signing up and they don't even remember to check the alerts, most of the time. For such instances, it would great to have push notifications and Xenforo offers just that. Still, I haven't yet figured how to enable notifications in Xenforo when someone replies to my content. I will have to look into that.

s3_gunzel
5 minutes ago, Claraviolet said:

they are not push notifications for a browser.

Given that Apple doesn’t support this at all without an actual app, I don’t see the problem. A majority of your userbase wouldn’t want to install an app to view your site anyway. I know I wouldn’t. 

• Love 1