Biggest Mistake?

Paanda

Change softwares. 

Pay their staff. 

Open with no content and the tackiest theme possible. 

Swipe their rules, in full, from another website. 

So many massive mistakes that are equally high. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2020 at 9:35 PM, s3_gunzel said:

Open with no content and the tackiest theme possible. 

Or better yet, the default theme of whatever software they are using. *shutters*

The biggest mistake I see is lack of effort. Nice design, easy to post around and easy to discuss..these are things to keep in mind when opening a forum. I keep seeing forums open just because - no purpose, and a horrid theme that makes me wonder how the bloody heck someone can stand looking at their screen. 

s3_gunzel
1 minute ago, WebHook said:

Or better yet, the default theme of whatever software they are using. *shutters*

I've been on a few sites where they've been opened many years ago and still use the default theme. Some sites can pull that off.

1 minute ago, s3_gunzel said:

I've been on a few sites where they've been opened many years ago and still use the default theme. Some sites can pull that off.

They have also been open for many years - when forums became a thing and no one really cared. Nowadays, you can't get away with it unless you already have a major userbase. 

s3_gunzel
1 minute ago, WebHook said:

They have also been open for many years - when forums became a thing and no one really cared. Nowadays, you can't get away with it unless you already have a major userbase. 

Well, no - but my point is your blanket statement of coming across a site using a default theme perhaps... disenfranchises those sites.

12 minutes ago, WebHook said:

Some default themes are good looking. I get where you mention the effort, though. Some people just make forums because they can and not because they are passionate about it. 

I am a big no sayer to any forum owners that decide to bring in a merger with another forum when the forum is active enough. 

A merger, according to me, is unfair to loyal memberbase and mostly not taken well. Also, it takes away the conducive forum ecosystem which is marred by the new comers and acts as a disincentive to further invest time in the forum. Its a big no. 

• Love 1

• 1 month later...
  • Owner

Hire 10 mods' when their forum only has 21 members on it. 😛

Seriously though, the biggest mistake I have seen new, and old webmasters, is giving up on something they have a passion about, simply because it becomes too much work to start a forum.

• Haha 1

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, Thomasss said:

Hire 10 mods' when their forum only has 21 members on it. 😛

Seriously though, the biggest mistake I have seen new, and old webmasters, is giving up on something they have a passion about, simply because it becomes too much work to start a forum.

That's something that seems to be very, very common.

People think that as soon as they open a forum they need an entire team to help moderate it and perform some sort of 'function' on the site. When your site first starts, you only need yourself as an admin and maybe, just maybe one mod but that's it.

It makes me laugh when people want to hire like a team of 5 mods. Who's posting..!?!? 😂 

On 2/8/2021 at 8:49 AM, Puppuccino said:

That's something that seems to be very, very common.

People think that as soon as they open a forum they need an entire team to help moderate it and perform some sort of 'function' on the site. When your site first starts, you only need yourself as an admin and maybe, just maybe one mod but that's it.

It makes me laugh when people want to hire like a team of 5 mods. Who's posting..!?!? 😂 

For reals! Like, what are these mods actually moderating? Each others posts? 

Who Are You Talking To Iron Man GIF by The Sean Ward Show

Lack of a game plan for both getting started and growing.  I actually joined a forum one day that announced they were going to switch a different software after they got everything settled and that literally made zero sense to me.

s3_gunzel
4 hours ago, Uncrowned Guard said:

announced they were going to switch a different software after they got everything settled

You mean they actually announced they weren't changing until they got things settled don't you?

10 minutes ago, s3_gunzel said:

You mean they actually announced they weren't changing until they got things settled don't you?

No, like once they had the forum fully setup, themes made, and got some members on board, the plan was to immediately switch software.  All while trying to build a community.  it did not work out.

s3_gunzel
2 minutes ago, Uncrowned Guard said:

it did not work out.

Changing softwares never does (unless, like in my case, it's seamless).

14 hours ago, s3_gunzel said:

Changing softwares never does (unless, like in my case, it's seamless).

Was Forumer's switch seamless? 😛

On 12/20/2020 at 6:35 AM, s3_gunzel said:

Change softwares. 

This is the biggest mistake IMO. People tend to not like change. So take the time to carefully research which forum software you want to use before actually launching your forum. And don't be afraid to try both free and premium software. It's definitely worth it in the long run.

On 2/13/2021 at 9:03 PM, ManaRay said:

Was Forumer's switch seamless? 😛

With that said, it's always worth switching to IPB. 😉

Edited by Simon

s3_gunzel
1 hour ago, Simon said:

So take the time to carefully research which forum software you want to use before actually launching your forum.

If you can get feature parity, it’s less of an issue - but for the sake of being unique and standing out from the crowd, using XenForo like everyone else is probably a bad choice. 

• 4 months later...
On 12/20/2020 at 12:33 AM, Paanda said:

If you could pick ONE thing you've seen people do that you think is the biggest mistake for a forum owner to do, what is it?

Close it within the first year because they aren't confident enough in the project. I've signed up on hundreds of forums and only half of them are still open! I'd say about a quarter of the owners of those sites have gone on to create new forums...and closed those as well.

Forums take time to build up content and relationships with members. If owners get too impatient then they aren't ever going to succeed.