Jump to content

Favorite Forum Software?


Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...
Simon

I really like IPB because it feels modern and professional, it's also easy to customize and expand with various official addons.

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2021 at 4:15 PM, Puppuccino said:

My favourite is probably phpBB, although I do really like IPB too.

 

Genuine question. But why phpBB? Aren't there many more and much better free forum software you could use in 2021?

Link to post
Share on other sites
s3_gunzel
7 hours ago, Simon said:

But why phpBB?

As someone who recently spun up a phpBB board in 2021, I can relate to phpBB. They’ve done a lot of work to it. It’s a lot easier to use now and flies. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators
Daniel
19 hours ago, Simon said:

Genuine question. But why phpBB? Aren't there many more and much better free forum software you could use in 2021?

Whilst it's never had lots of features like other softwares, it's always been very solid and easy to use. I don't get that with a lot of other softwares. A lot seem to put effort into flashy effects, something XenForo developers seem to be obsessed with.

12 hours ago, s3_gunzel said:

As someone who recently spun up a phpBB board in 2021, I can relate to phpBB. They’ve done a lot of work to it. It’s a lot easier to use now and flies. 

It's incredibly slow to develop, they're still in version 3.x but yeah, very stable and reliable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
s3_gunzel
10 hours ago, Puppuccino said:

It's incredibly slow to develop, they're still in version 3.x

And? They’re on 3.3; which is a lot better than MyBB promising shit and not delivering. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators
Daniel
18 hours ago, s3_gunzel said:

And? They’re on 3.3; which is a lot better than MyBB promising shit and not delivering. 

They've been on the 3 series for well over 10 years.

It's not a bad thing in the sense that it's stable delivers, but they've not innovated since 3.1 or so which has contributed to it's decline in popularity / market share since. It's probably still widely used but it's remained largely the same for a very long time and you can tell people have gotten bored and moved on.

Every other forum used to be phpBB and nowadays it's XenForo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
s3_gunzel
6 hours ago, Puppuccino said:

It's not a bad thing in the sense that it's stable delivers, but they've not innovated since 3.1 or so

But they’re chipping away little bits at a time. Better to do that than build a whole new, unstable, major point version. 

Open Source software relies on voluntary contributions. That’s what people don’t get. The XenForo and IPB devs are paid for the work they put in because people pay for the software.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information