Are phpBB and MyBB dead scripts?

Cumulus

Back in the day majority of forums seemed to run either off MyBB or phpBB, though these days more and more seem to be migrating through to Xenforo and IPB. 

With more and more forums on paid scripts, do you think the usage of MyBB and phpBB is dwindling? And do the scripts have a future?

• Administrators
s3_gunzel
On 1/5/2021 at 8:24 AM, Cumulus said:

With more and more forums on paid scripts, do you think the usage of MyBB and phpBB is dwindling?

I think people think that XenForo is better - but there comes a point where each site that uses it becomes boring. Same crap - different site. Nothing to differentiate between them.

At least with phpBB and MyBB you can change everything about them.

Claraviolet

I don't think MyBB is dead to be honest. They will release MyBB 2.0 sometime and it's responsive by default. I am sure it takes a lot of time but still I believe it's worth the wait.

With MyBB you have many options when it comes to themes and plugins. Xenforo is a cool software but its not free like MyBB. I am sure newbies even now opt for MyBB than go with Xenforo directly. 

Puppuccino

I don't think they are 'dead' but I do think that they've become less relevant as the years go on.

phpBB has been stuck on version 3 for so long now without any modern features that I do think it's slowly dying. It needs a complete overhaul and a modern update into a version 4 I think at this point.

As for MyBB, I've never really been interested in it, but I think it's suffering the same as phpBB at this point.

Claraviolet

I don't think so. I am sure they have great potential.

There are many things when it comes to free scripts and all ...like slow support, slow release of new versions but they are still cool. I have been using MyBB close to 8 years now and I love it.

I will probably change my forum script to Xenforo pretty soon but I still like MyBB. There are many plugins and themes to choose from when it comes to MyBB.