Removal of Parler from services

Puppuccino

So the US has been in the news a lot recently, mainly for bad things.

Do you think that the recent removal of 'Parler' from the App Store/Google Play and now AWS is a good thing at all? It seems that they're bing shut down and will have to rebuild from scratch, like completely to the point they may even need to make their own servers / data centers etc to come back online.

A lot of people are saying that this amounts to censorship / suppression of free speech but I don't think a lot of people necessarily understand the differences and nuance of this instance.

The idea is that Parler moderates incredibly loosely, and won't remove content that may Twitter or Facebook would remove (eventually if found).

What do you make of it all?

• Administrators
Thomasss
2 hours ago, Puppuccino said:

A lot of people are saying that this amounts to censorship / suppression of free speech but I don't think a lot of people necessarily understand the differences and nuance of this instance.

I completely agree. Most people also saying that are fine with what happened on Capital Hill, too. ūüėõ¬†¬†This is what happens when you have a no rules forum dedicated to politics. I think the huge issue with Parler is they would not remove content that incited violence (i.e if someone said to storm the capital and kill people, they most likely would not remove that...)¬†

A lot of people are thinking its Democrats getting revenge on Republicans (because Apple, Google, and AWS have Democratic CEO's) but I think it's just a fun coincidence. If Parler would have moderation policies, then I see no reason why they could not come back. It's not censorship of free speech when you're on someone else's equipment/servers and not following their rules. 

Uncrowned Guard

It does seem like the riots were pushed heavily on the platform and, while i can not confirm myself, it does sound like the platform has fairly "extremest" views and call-to-actions running rampant all over the place per media reports.  It is hard for me to say anything was done wrong by Apple, Google, or even AWS as they can safely say that heat was headed their way for hosting this service.  It reminded me a lot of 8Chan and it's hosts (most notability Cloudflare) all tried to push the "it is just user content and not the platform's fault" and that did not work out for either party and got Cloudflare a lot of bad branding for refusing to take down the service at first.

Now do I think the riots are on par with the shootings that were started on 8Chan, no.  But it is a great example on why these services are likely to push "extremist" platforms off their stores before it heats up.  I also do not have any issue with the whole "free speech" item as none of the listed services are government run.

• Administrators
s3_gunzel
On 1/12/2021 at 3:35 AM, Uncrowned Guard said:

it does sound like the platform has fairly "extremest" views and call-to-actions running rampant all over the place per media reports.

That's not the issue - the issue is Parler identifies itself as a 'no moderation' platform. You get extremist views on Facebook but that's at least moderated.

It reminded me a lot of 8Chan and it's hosts (most notability Cloudflare) all tried to push the "it is just user content and not the platform's fault" and that did not work out for either party and got Cloudflare a lot of bad branding for refusing to take down the service at first.

Because, and I've said this before, Cloudflare hosts nothing. They're DNS and CDN. You can't put a website on Cloudflare because it's not a host.

I also do not have any issue with the whole "free speech" item as none of the listed services are government run.

The First Amendment only allows you to not be arrested for your views. It does not mean a company - a private company - has to allow you to air them.