Throwback to No Built In Notifications

• Owner
Thomasss

Let's go back to the time where forum softwares did not have built in notifications. Where do you think we would be if notifications were never built into softwares? Anyone else remember the olden days of no notifications? 

There was an interesting discussion around this topic on a talk somewhere. 
The speaker hypothesised that actually, notifications could potentially do more harm than good as you only action your outstanding notifications and then move on, rather than being ‘forced’ to explore the site in full.

whilst not an argument I wholly agree with, I found it an interesting thought

• Owner
Thomasss
1 minute ago, Katos said:

There was an interesting discussion around this topic on a talk somewhere. 
The speaker hypothesised that actually, notifications could potentially do more harm than good as you only action your outstanding notifications and then move on, rather than being ‘forced’ to explore the site in full.

whilst not an argument I wholly agree with, I found it an interesting thought

I see how they get to that conclusion, because truly, sometimes I only look at my notifications and leave. If I wasn't admin/staff, some forums I really don't ever pay attention unless I have a notification from something. 

Claraviolet

I am sure most of the activity is only due to the notification system and nothing more.

If people can't find replies to their own threads or if they don't see anything that needs their attention on the index page, they will just leave. Where as if they see notifications then I am sure they will respond accordingly.

I just can't imagine a forum without any notification system at the moment. It's going to go under pretty soon, if it exists at the moment.

On 1/12/2021 at 5:52 AM, Thomasss said:

I see how they get to that conclusion, because truly, sometimes I only look at my notifications and leave. If I wasn't admin/staff, some forums I really don't ever pay attention unless I have a notification from something. 

Agreed. Maybe this is the secret reason why @s3_gunzel broke his notifications 😉

On 1/13/2021 at 12:02 PM, Claraviolet said:

I am sure most of the activity is only due to the notification system and nothing more.

If people can't find replies to their own threads or if they don't see anything that needs their attention on the index page, they will just leave. Where as if they see notifications then I am sure they will respond accordingly.

Hmm, not sure I wholly agree, but it'll certainly reduce interaction, yes.

I just can't imagine a forum without any notification system at the moment. It's going to go under pretty soon, if it exists at the moment.

Also disagree with this, though I would prefer a site with notifications it wouldn't be the sole thing to kill it. 

• Administrators
Daniel

Honestly, I hate them. I really mean that too.

They are a distraction and I fondly remember having to go back to a topic a few hours later or refreshing the page if you were having a near live discussion with someone. Simpler times and much less clutter.