Are promotion forums useful?

Personally, I find promotion forums quite useful when it comes to starting a new community. You can advertise your site there, find new people to join your forum, do post exchanges and get some free content as they offer posting service usually for their forum currency. You can also get feedback from other members.

Do you find promotion forums any good? Have you ever used one? If so, what was your experience with it?

I feel like Promotion Forums are both beneficial and detrimental to sites if used incorrectly. If you only use promotional forums for traffic and content, you're not going to get anywhere anytime soon. Most members on promotional forums are just there to promote their forum and participate in exchanges (which is a totally different topic..) so when they start joining forums, they tend to go inactive pretty quickly. They're useful, but you should never count on promotional forums for your main stream of visitors and content.

• Administrators

Nope. Not unless you’re a webmaster or a gaming forum. You’re coming across the same people on all promotion sites and at the end of the day it’s largely a waste of your time.

I’m only here to talk to other webmasters and gain some ideas

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I find them useful for initial content and when the forum does not get much traffic. In such case the help in such regard to add new content would be possible with the promotion forums. Also there are times when you need active community in such context promotion forums can be useful.

Forum Promotion sites are fundamentally not useful.

1. Forum promotion sites are targeted to other forum webmasters. These are usually webmasters of new general or gaming communities. Unless your website is another forum webmaster community, it's entirely the wrong audience.

2. These webmasters tend to be low value webmasters. They're serial webmasters who start up and close down forums, but don't actually know how to build one up.

3. Forum promotion and paid2post are transactional. You pay for X number of posts. What this means is that you are chasing engagement for the sake of engagement, which is entirely the wrong goal. You're not here to build the next Facebook for mindless banter. If you find yourself falling into that trap, you've already lost sight of your forum mission. (And if your mission is to build the next Facebook, there are easier / cheaper / faster ways like starting a group on Facebook itself).

4. Forum promotion sites gives you an extra boost of 5 posts, which lasts ... For how long? It's not a sustainable or long term practice.

5. Finally and most importantly, you're paying for completely the wrong thing. The posts that you get will likely be irrelevant, off topic, and low value. What kind of interesting, thoughtful, or relevant discussion do you expect from a $0.05 post? If you're going to pay for content, then pay for content that is relevant, useful, and central to your audience and niche.

Skip forum promotion. It's an outdated practice from the heyday of forums ten years ago. You won't get valuable content, you won't attract the right kinds of new members, and you'll be stuck in a cycle of irrelevant discussion. In the beginning, focus on core strategies like building up best in class content, researching and hosting unique industry discussion, and offering compelling value that users won't find anywhere else. It's not easy, but it'll actually give you long term value.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Well, it is useful to a point. I don't see most forums surviving on a forum dedicated to helping webmasters, unless said forum has some feature that would be useful for others to use. I can see a few forums lasting, even with members directly from promotional forums; even then, it can be difficult to be one of those few forums that draws a crowd from those webmaster aid forums.

Basically I believe that an administrator has to rely on more than just promo forums to take off.

• Administrators

Forum promotion sites are targeted to other forum webmasters. These are usually webmasters of new general or gaming communities. Unless your website is another forum webmaster community, it's entirely the wrong audience.

I really thought this was one of my posts.

Forum promotion sites gives you an extra boost of 5 posts, which lasts ... For how long? It's not a sustainable or long term practice.

Don't forget the high-turnover of package staff so you end up with many new members with 5 posts each.

The posts that you get will likely be irrelevant, off topic, and low value.

Yep. Let's post the same thing at every website because we're lazy.

Well, it is useful to a point. I don't see most forums surviving on a forum dedicated to helping webmasters, unless said forum has some feature that would be useful for others to use. I can see a few forums lasting, even with members directly from promotional forums; even then, it can be difficult to be one of those few forums that draws a crowd from those webmaster aid forums.

Yeah look, don't take this the wrong way, but you're biased - you managed (edit: and do again) one for a number of years in an administrator capacity.

Edited by s3_gunzel

Even then, I know when not to use them. Not many people who I would target for certain types of forums, would reside at the promotional forums anyway. Take the game Last Shelter: Survival. Most average people playing that game are people that spend their time looking at their phones, not worrying about forums. The more dedicated gamers in the game do not have many quality places to discuss the game, so I cannot see them wanting to meet up on a webmaster forum, just to discuss the game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Nope. Not unless you’re a webmaster or a gaming forum. You’re coming across the same people on all promotion sites and at the end of the day it’s largely a waste of your time.

I’m only here to talk to other webmasters and gain some ideas

This is pretty much the main reason I fell out of promoting on forums like Forum Promotion.

They used to be a really good way to promote your site many years ago but now forums have died down quite a lot and there's not as many options for people to promote their site. It still works, but not like it used to I think.

• 3 weeks later...

Naw I don't think you need promotion forums these days to help promote your forum. You need good content on your forum and knowing how to advertise other ways. Like that saying goes 'If you build it, they will come'

• 2 months later...
On 11/27/2019 at 12:18 AM, Keran said:

Do you find promotion forums any good?

Unless your target group is webmasters then the answer is no. But some promotion forums can have other benefits for forum administrators, such as interesting discussions and networking. But again, I wouldn't waste my time "promoting" my forums on these platforms. 

• Like 1

Yes & No. If you can obtain members who will passively be active, without the need to continue paying or completing a post exchange with them, then it's a good marketing technique. The issue is, when you stop completing post exchanges and requesting packages, the forum will soon die. 

On 10/31/2020 at 11:01 AM, Instapost Likes said:

According to me, organic promotion is better than paid promotion. It takes some time but it genuinely raked your site.  I don't use ad promotion forums. I suggest you to organic promotion. 

I think you misunderstood the original poster. Promotional Forums are organic traffic, and it's a free marketing method for your site. Most of these sites offer posting packages, posting exchanges & a free advertising sections to help boost your site's hits. One of the largest free webmaster communities is Forum Promotion.