Should you have enough content before publicly opening your forum?

Do you think that you should have some amount of content (threads & posts) already made on your forum before publicly opening it so the boards don't look empty and turn potential members away? If so, how much?

I think you should have at least 5-6 threads in each board before making the forum open to the public. I don't think that someone will be happy visiting your site for first time and seeing empty boards. Well, that is just my opinion.

The whole point of having a forum is to have discussions on a certain niche, yes? I think when you're just starting out, it should be the owners responsibility to ensure there is content to converse on. If there are just empty boards, what's the point of members creating content?

Always start with content to get the discussions going!

It is absolutely vital. If I go to a forum that has all 0's, I am leaving as fast as the page loaded. If there is nothing to read or reply to, then you are not going to get signups. Valuable content is what keeps members and new ones coming.

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

Yes, you should have enough content before you open your discussion board to the public. Webmasters need to create topics, as conversation starters, so new members have content to read and reply to. I would suggest atleast 20 threads to kick-start your forum.

• 1 month later...

I would say it doesn't hurt at all to do this. You can even open your forum to the public but not announce it for a couple of weeks while your working on content before your ready to share the forum's link.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yea have some general stuff up and ready to allow potential users to chime in! It really will help you get some users in who will engage and hopefully those threads will take off and allow the cycle to continue. Opening a site with no content is quite the deterrent for visitors. Be active before and after as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2020 at 5:22 PM, Pipsi said:

Its key to have content to work with when opening a new forum. You cannot sell a product without, well, the product. 

I completely agree with you here. Do you believe a webmaster should hire team members before a forum goes live, and encourage the staff to post too? I think it's a good idea, but this shouldn't be the sole reason for hiring a volunteer/employee on a website.